Saturday, November 19, 2011

Suk/Suq/Souq/Souk/Soq/However It's Spelled

So yesterday was the first time I went to the local souk, aka HaCarmel Market, in Tel Aviv. It's about a 30-40 minute walk away from my apartment, at the corners of HaCarmel, Allenby, and King George streets. What an exhilarating experience! Simon and I went for about an hour and a half. We explored what the market had to offer for a bit, then I started buying stuff. They have phenomenal prices. I got a whole branch of bananas for 7 shekels, 3 big Granny Smith apples for 7 shekels, 4 pairs of boxers for 20 shekels, and 6 pairs of socks for 20 shekels. All in all, I spent about 58 shekels at the souk, which equals to about $15.67. Can you say BARGAIN?!?!

It took us a while there partially because we got caught in the rain, but we planned leaving perfectly, once the rain had stopped. I also stopped to check out a Fedora just for fun. Then I realized that I looked kind of good in it. I've been told that I look good in them before, and I still don't understand how. Here's a picture, what does everyone think?

On the way back, Simon and I got Subway (yeah, it's in Israel)! I got tuna and he got chicken. However, I'm not that impressed with it as I am at home. Maybe I'll try it again, a different sandwich. Either way, the souk was fun; I think I'll go every once in while to get some necessities, like produce (and any knickknacks for people). It'll save me some money because TLV (Tel Aviv) is expensive.

I gotta go do some work for my new internship. Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment