Friday, November 4, 2011

Learning and Partying

Tuesday was my second day of Ulpan (Hebrew study) class. It was a trying one, given that the Dan Bus company was sitting in the classroom where we normally have class, providing bus passes for everyone in the Master's and internship programs that wanted one. Therefore, we had class in the lounge of the apartment building. We learned how to write more letters and read simple paragraphs. I already know how to read and write Hebrew, so most of this is old stuff to me from my years at Solomon Schechter; however, it is a good thing I am in this level class because I am learning so many new words (and relearning some old). After our break, we moved to Naum's apartment a few blocks away to provide for an easier learning session. He provided his old tenant's mirror as a whiteboard and we sat on his couch and chairs in a circle. Great job for thinking on your feet, Naum!

Theodor Herzl, the Father of
modern Zionism
The rest of the day was pretty lax (except for me going to the gym) until we had an enrichment session: Intro to Zionism with Ofer. Ofer, Director of Oranim's programs, came to educate us on the Zionist people who helped make Israel what it is today. We learned how Theodor Herzl wanted a Jewish State after seeing Alfred Dreyfus treated with such hatred just because he was a Jew; Herzl basically decided that his dream was to find a place, preferably Palestine, in which the Jews could live in peace and not be persecuted for being themselves. At one of the Zionist conferences, he almost settled on Britain giving him Uganda, but no. The Jews eventually got what they wanted and established the State of Israel in May 1948. We also learned about Jabotinsky, Ben Yehuda (who revolutionized the Hebrew language), and other important people who have streets in Tel Aviv named after them. Afterwards, I went out with my friends Simon and Anna to Benedict's, a 24/7 breakfast restaurant. This place has the fluffiest (and most delicious and filling) pancakes you will ever have. I ordered white chocolate pancakes and a hot chocolate. Oy, what a dinner/breakfast! I then went to enjoy some hookah with some other friends.

Wednesday was more class. I actually learned quite a bit in both classes, HR Management and Staffing Organizations. The only issue is having the same teacher for 6 hours straight. I'll get used to it. At night, we had the biggest party yet; everyone was going out. Oranim sponsored a party at this bar called Lima Lima. A bunch of people from both programs went and it was a blast. It was an early night for most, but the drinks were awesome, the music was great, I danced, I talked... That's the kind of night you're looking for in Tel Aviv!

Thursday was enjoyable. I woke up late and I began searching for an internship. I have to go to HR departments at hotels to find an HR internship. Annoying, huh? Anyway, I went to a few along HaYarkon St.: the Hilton, Carlton, Tal Hotel, and Herods. I'm going back probably on Sunday to start really looking. Afterwards, Alex and I went to the gym (I'm really getting a workout there!) then I relaxed for the night. Instead of going out with a friend from the internship program, I stayed in and brushed up on my cooking skills. I made french toast for the first time, without any vanilla extract or sugar... and if I say so myself, it came out pretty good. I would like to make more in a bigger pan, though. Oh the frustrations of having just a hotplate, a pan, and 2 pots. Then I made some pasta to fill me up. All in all, a delicious dinner. Then, I went upstairs to join in on a little party.

I've so far been in Israel for just 3 weeks and it feels like I've been here 2-3 months. It's crazy. Tonight, I'm going to Modi'in for Shabbat to visit Noa and meet her mother. I can't wait! See ya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment