Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Livnot Words of Wisdom (Josh)

Below is the paper I wrote for my Words of Wisdom presentation on Shabbat at Livnot my second time there:

LIVNOT WORDS OF WISDOM 8/24/2012
Martin Buber, an Austrian-Israeli philosopher, once said, “All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”  One year ago, I received an email that I had been accepted to the only graduate school program I had applied to. I had no idea that, beginning in October 2011, the next ten months would be a whirlwind of experiences and adventures in Israel that would change my life forever. I can now proudly say that I am a Master of Science in Organizational Behavior with a deeper understanding of the Jewish world around me, and both a knowledge and wisdom that I have connected to and a desire to pass on to many people I meet in the future.
I have done so much while here. I have traveled all over Israel, learning about this country’s unique history and culture, as well as traveling to Jordan and Europe. I have traveled on my own, or with friends, to nearby cities while living in Tel Aviv, the cultural capital of Israel. I have learned to speak Hebrew while engaging with locals, the best way to learn about a new culture. I have made many new friends in other MASA programs, not just from the United States but also from Canada, South America, Europe, and Russia. I have participated in several security and diplomacy programs and seminars, becoming more of a Zionist and paying more attention to world news. I have even worked an internship that has taught me about the human resources field by selling a new service by a start-up company.
As Kohelet (the Book of Ecclesiastes), King Solomon mentions, “For as wisdom grows, vexation grows; To increase learning is to increase heartache” (Ecclesiastes 1:18). In other words, to grow wiser is to get annoyed, therefore, as one becomes more knowledgeable, this person feels more sorrow. I both agree and disagree with this quote. As I have journeyed around Israel and Europe for the past year, I have experienced both pleasures and pains but have learned from others and myself how best to react in situations in which I engage. I have ultimately grown to become a better person, and the person I was meant to be. We may feel pain and experience failure but we really succeed when we overcome that pain and learn something new about ourselves, no matter how big or small. Pain is only the road to success, and in order to reach your goal, you must take chances.
I have learned that real opportunities don’t come by very often, but when they do, one must take advantage. I chose to come to Israel for a year, not just to get a Master’s degree and to get out of the U.S. for a year, but also to strengthen my connection to Israel and to my Judaism. Even though I have missed many celebrations with family and friends back home, I don’t regret coming here. I have missed birthdays, a wedding, weekend adventures with friends, concerts, and an engagement. However, I have gained new friends here and learned so much about myself. Nothing could have prepared me for what I have done in the past year. I took everything day by day, careful not to analyze things too much and just to enjoy myself.
We will always want and need things in life; we are both biologically and psychologically programmed in such a way. King Solomon narrates, “…The eye never has enough of seeing, nor the ear enough of hearing” (Ecclesiastes 1:8). One will always want and need to learn because we, as human beings, crave wisdom and knowledge. We are constantly looking forward to the destination but the real treat is the journey that accompanies our travels.

1 comment: