Thursday, February 16, 2012

Oranim Participant Interview (I'm famous. Again.)!

Hey, so my friend Shelly, from the Tel Aviv Internship program that started the same day I did, recently interviewed me for the Israel Way-Oranim newsletter. Typically included in the newsletter is a description of popular upcoming events around Tel Aviv, Hebrew Phrases of the Week, information on a characteristic or place in Israel, and a participant interview. I am the featured participant of the week! I'll write a new post in the next few days. Check out the article below:


 

Participant Interview

This week we interviewed Josh Rubock. Josh graduated from the University of Connecticut (UConn) last May with a double major in Psychology and Communication and a minor in Business. Josh is currently receiving his Master's on our NYU-Poly Master's in Israel program. The NYU-Poly Master's in Israel program gives participants the opportunity to receive their Master's degree in either Business Management or Organizational Behavior. The NYU-Poly Master's program is an the amazing opportunity to receive a Master's degree in a year or less at half the price of the degree in the States, all while living in fun-filled Tel Aviv.

Josh came to Israel once before on Taglit-Brithright in 2009. "It was an amazing trip and I knew I had to come back." Josh has had the most amazing time on the NYU-Poly Master's program so far. "I've made great friends, enjoyed the trips around the country and am enjoying the program immensely....I've done things I wouldn't have done otherwise in the 4 months I've been here so far."

"What attracted me to this program initially was the fact that I could live in Israel for 10 months and receive a Master's degree. I wanted to learn more about Israeli culture and know more about the Holy Land that God gave to us thousands of years ago.....The benefit of getting my degree through  Israel Way - Oranim is that I get an international focus with a renowned university(NYU). I never got a chance to study abroad in college so this was the perfect opportunity to do so in the best country in the world."

Josh is studying towards his Master's of Science in Organizational Behavior (MSOB). "I like my classes so far; all the teachers have a different teaching styles and I have enjoyed and adjusted to each teaching style provided to me."
Some of Josh's favorite classes include Human Resource Management, Organizational Theory and Design and Conflict Management. He loves learning about conflict management, "it was one of my favorite classes during undergrad."
Josh likes Human Resource Management because it covers a lot of the important bases that have to do with the career in HR. Upon graduating Josh plans of pursuing a career in HR.  When asked about life in Tel Aviv, Josh replied, "Tel Aviv is a bustling city, there's so much here that I can do. Go to the clubs and bars, the beach, the malls, and neighboring cities....I love having the opportunity to visit Jerusalem on a weekend, go to the beach in Eilat or hike the mountains in the Golan at just a drive away. "

Josh takes classes 2-3 days a week and Ulpan (Hebrew class) and Enrichment (education on Israel Zionism) once a week. The NYU-Poly program also goes on trips around Israel once a month. Josh volunteers in Neve Tsedek, the first neighborhood of Tel Aviv, helping kids with their English homework. He also participates in an Israel Public Diplomacy course at Tel Aviv University. Josh's activities don't stop there! He is a marketing/HR intern at Zao. Zao is "a start-up company that will soon be selling an applicant tracking system (ATS) which focuses on referrals through social networks, such as Facebook." Josh tasks include writing blog posts and emails to potential customers in English-speaking countries. On top of all that Josh is also part of the Partners Program. The Partners Program is a joint group of Israel Way - Oranim participants and Tel Aviv Academic College students. Josh thinks the Partners program is a great way to meet Israelis the same age. "I wanted to be a part of this program to make more connections, make friends with Israelis, to learn more about them and Israeli culture."

To learn more about Josh, his travels and his studies check out his blog

No comments:

Post a Comment