Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Realization

Wednesday October 12, 2011:

As I sit at the terminal at JFK Airport waiting for my airplane to board, I find myself reminiscing about what I realized earlier. In the shower this morning, after spending the previous 30 hours packing (I couldn't decide what to bring or how much to bring with me), I came to the culmination that I really AM going to Israel. I had spent the past two months planning everything involved in coming to Israel and getting ready for grad school.

I had done a lot, too. I signed a bunch of electronic documents, went to multiple doctor's appointments, spent lots of money (including tuition, which I owe my parents back for), and made MANY phone calls to Oranim to get help on what I had to do next in the process of applying for the Master's in Israel program.

I am beginning a great new adventure in a fairly new environment and atmosphere. I spent 10 days in Israel 3 years ago on Birthright, traveling all over the State learning about Israeli culture and history. As a result, I created a stronger connection with my Jewish heritage.

I feel like even though I'm spending the next 10 months in Israel going to grad school, I have not left my friends and family behind. I will be talking with everyone on Skype and Facebook all the time. At the same time, I already have a few connections in Israel. My friend Noa, a soldier I met while Birthright, and two other friends from the trip. One is working an internship in Tel Aviv and the other is going to a Yeshiva in Jerusalem. I have Miriam, my childhood friend who lived on my street, is doing a Master's degree at Tel Aviv University. And shortly, on Monday, my program starts, and I will make 30 new best friends. I can't wait! :)

Israel, here I come!

Josh

Thursday Oct 13:

My first sight of Israel in 3 years. It's great to be back! :)
I got to Ben Gurion Airport and my friend, Noa, and her boyfriend picked me up. For now, I'm staying in Modi'in with Noa, halfway between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

Today, my first day in Israel, I took a long nap, we helped a friend of Noa's buy a necklace for his girlfriend, and we went to a local Irish pub called O'Sullivan's. Good place, I enjoyed it. Tomorrow, we're going to Jerusalem for a few hours and then the day is open. I can't wait for orientation to begin next week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment